Monday, February 27, 2012

No More Rocking

Tim and I reached our limit Wednesday night! We decided to stop rocking Rory to bed because I think its the root of all our problems. Honestly this was a little sad for me. I love rocking Rory to bed, its great bonding time and I was resistant to give it up.

Our plan was to let her "cry it out" 10 minutes max, go in her room for less then 1 minute but not pick her up then repeat until she goes to sleep. I settled on this approach after speaking with our doctor and I got a good web site referral from a friend (Thank you Amy Weiss) http://www.babysleepsite.com/. 

There was a quote on the site that made me both laugh and cry, and pushed me to finally try this... 

"What kind of routine do you do before you go to sleep each night? Do you
watch TV? Talk to your partner? Do you read a book? Do you sleep on a pillow?
These are the types of things you associate with going to sleep each night. What
would happen if your power was out and you couldn't watch the news or read your
book? Would you have trouble falling asleep? Maybe. Maybe not. Would you have
trouble going to sleep without your pillow? That might be more likely to give you
trouble. Some sleep associations are stronger than others. What if you went to
sleep with your pillow and covers and 2 hours later woke up and they were gone?
Would you be able to go back to sleep without looking for the pillow? Now let's look
at how this concept might affect your baby. "

...because honestly sometimes I do wake up up in the middle of the night looking for my pillow or blankey and get very upset when I can't find them! (And even more upset when I find Tim has them). 

Here's how it worked (sorry this is going to be really boring for some of you, but I want to remember this for next time and share with anyone who might have to go through this):

Night 1 of "Cry it Out" - I put Rory down at 7:30 and set the stopwatch. After 10 minutes I started walking in her room and she literally stopped crying just before I got to the door. She woke at 10:30 & 2:30 (gave a bottle) and put herself back to sleep after less then 10 minutes. Then she woke at 5:45 for the day. I feel better today then I have in weeks!

Night 2 of CIO - I put Rory down at 7:50 and she full out cried for 8 minutes then wimpered for 2 and then was fast asleep! She woke up around 9:00 but went right back to sleep. Then slept till 3:30!!! I gave her a bottle but after that she took 16 minutes to fall back asleep. Then she slept till 6:45. Who ever would have thought I would be so excited to sleep until 6:45.

Night 3 of CIO - I put Rory down at 8:15, she talked for 5 minutes, cried for 8, then talked again for 5 minutes and fell asleep. She was up at 4:00, ate and went right back to sleep!

Night 4 of CIO - I put Rory down about 8:00, she cried for 10 minutes. I went in and turned on her lady bug because it just seemed to dark in there. She cried for another 4 and went to sleep. She woke up at 10:30 and Tim went it and she went right back to sleep. She woke up at 4:00 and I fed her and she then slept till 6:45.

Seems like a much better pattern is evolving! Overall Rory is sleeping better, I am sleeping better, Tim is sleeping better and everyone is happier - even Willow. I am so glad that I decided to do this. I really was skeptical on whether or not it would work and on if we would cause some abandonment issues for Rory but she has taken it like a rock star!

1 comment:

  1. I love that you did this!! It will make life so much easier as she grows into full toddler form!! SO proud!

    -Mackenzie

    ReplyDelete