Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Up All Night (Not the TV Show)

Rory all swaddled up
When Rory was 2 months old she started sleeping through the night.  She would go to bed aroun 9pm and sleep straight through till around 5am.  Maybe once a week she would wake up one time in that stretch and I would feed her and she would go right back to bed.  Here's a picture of Rory from when she was a good sleeper - this was NYE, I think it was one of the last nights she slept straight through.

Rory taking a nap on my lap
Boy have things changed.  Since she was about 4 months old she has been up 2 to 4 times a nights.  There are so many changes going on in her life that I really don't know what is causing her to be up all night.  It could be the cereal, the carrots, that she is no longer swaddled, her stuffy nose.  Too may naps, not enough naps. Now we are slowly switching her to formula so that could be part of it.  Or I have heard that 4 months is when babies start to have separation anxiety, so she could just want to be with us all night.  Who knows.

Her most recent trend is to be up at about 1:30 and 4:45.  Which isn't too bad.  The problem is that after feeding her, when I am up rocking her back to bed, I fall asleep in her rocker with her.  Then I wake up an hour later and try to put her down and she wakes up.  This is what happened last night and it made it a tough night for both Rory and I.

I need to do some research on sleep training because as soon as she turns 6 months Tim and I are going to slowly start to back off on the rocking to bed and comforting in the middle of the night.  I don't think we are going to "let her cry it out", but we can certainly draw a harder line then we do now - which is no line at all.  More changes for Rory to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment