Friday, April 13, 2012

Better Sleeping Habits and Cupcakes

I think Rory is in a transition phase.  She is breaking all of her routines lately.  And becoming very unpredictable on when she will eat and how much and when she will sleep.

She used to take 5 bottles a day and 3oz overnight.  She used to go to sleep at 7:30pm wake at 3:30 and then sleep until 6:30. I didn’t really mind this schedule, getting up once in the middle of the night is a vast improvement from a couple of months ago.

So this past week Rory has taken 4 bottles some days and 5 others.  She’s eating more food during the day.  And she goes to bed at 7:30 and wakes up between 4:30 and 5:00 and then goes back to sleep till 7:30!  Yes, 7:30.  Most mornings we have to wake her up to get her ready for school.  This is exciting!  

One thing I can’t figure out, is how to avoid crabby Rory after school.  She generally takes 2-3 naps at school totaling anywhere from 2-4 hours.  Whether its 2 hours or 4 hours total, about an hour after she gets home she gets crabby.  Usually I’ll let her sleep on me for about 30 minutes and then she’ll be fine the rest of the night.  But I wish there was a better solution, letting her take naps on us is probably not a good habit to still be in.  All other naps she takes in a crib unless we are out of the house.  I make and exception for this one because I read that the third nap of the day can be a moving/cuddling nap.

On a totally unrelated note, I have been trying to make cupcakes from scratch for about a month now.  The first batch I made with Loni and they were awful.  The second batch the paper stuck to the outside and the chocolate chips sunk to the bottom and they were not edible.  The third batch tasted funny.  But, yesterday I made my 4th batch and they are so good!  I am so excited!  I even got rave reviews from my biggest critic in the kitchen (yep, Tim).

They are Snickerdoodle Cupcakes with Peanut Butter frosting!  Here’s the recipe I used (adapted from Martha Stewart's recipe)

Cupcakes:

Ingredients

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • ½  tablespoon baking powder
  • ¼  teaspoon salt
  • ½  tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • ½  cup unsalted butter, room temperature
  • ¾  cups sugar
  • 2 large eggs, room temperature
  • 1 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • ½ cup + 2 tablespoons milk

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners. Sift together both flours, baking powder, salt, and 1 tablespoon cinnamon.
  2. With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Beat in vanilla. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture in three batches, alternating with two additions of milk, and beating until combined after each.
  3. Divide batter evenly among lined cups, filling each three-quarters full. Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until a cake tester inserted in centers comes out clean, about 22 minutes.
Frosting – Kind of winged it
Powdered Sugar
Skim Milk
Butter (unsalted)
Peanut Butter
Vanilla

My frosting skills could use some work... but here they are!


No comments:

Post a Comment