Monday, May 21, 2012

Milestones... more like Marathonstones

Over and over again people tell me that "before you know it Rory will be crawling" or in the last couple of months it was rolling over or sitting up.  People always say one day it just "happens".  Well, I am here to tell you that this is absolutely not true.  At least not for Rory.

Each milestone has been a lot of work.  And each one has been a slow progression of learning to master the new physical development.  Building up the muscle.  Figuring out how to move her body to do what she wants it to do.

Rolling over was probably the first big milestone.  From the time we saw Rory start to think about rolling over to the time she actually rolled over effortlessly it was probably over 8 weeks.  Same with sitting up.  We had to support her sitting for a long time and then even after she could balance for a minute or two on her own, she would still fall over every once in a while.  Even today every once and a while she will reach a little too far and lose her balance.

Right now Rory is working on crawling.  At first I thought she was going to crawl early because she would get up and rock on all 4's before she was 7 months old.  Now she is still up there rocking.  She has slowly started to move her knees a bit.  But I have learned my lesson to think that the milestone is right around the corner.  I am thinking it might be another month before she is really crawling.  I am slowly starting to see the desire grow to explore beyond what is in her reach.

I am thinking pulling herself up and walking will follow the same pattern.

Let me be clear once again, that I don't care in the slightest if Rory hits these milestones "on time" or not.  I want her to develop at her own pace with no pressure, only support.  I just think its funny how people tell you that these milestone will happen suddenly but yet they really are a very slow progression. 

I love every moment of watching her figure it out.  Its fun to see her concentrate so hard on moving forward.  Not so fun to see her get frustrated when she can't figure it out.  But fun again to see her figure out an alternate way - turn 90 degerees and roll.

I think this is one of those things that make being a mother amazing.  You get to see the day to day progress and get so excited for every little step forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment