Thursday, June 14, 2012

CSA

I joined a CSA for the first time this year.  I am so excited about it.  I got a great deal through my work and they drop off every other Thursday at our work which is so convenient!

If you are not familiar with CSA's, they are locally grown fruits and veggies.  The idea is that your supporting local farms.  Food4Thought, our CSA, explains it pretty well on their web site.  I love that they have 2 member events where you can go to the local farms and meet the farmers, see where your food is grown and they have a picnic for everyone. 

I definitely could use the education on all the different fruits and vegetables because I pretty much buy the same things and don't really venture out of what I know too often.  I also thought it would be a great way to continue to make Rory fresh veggies for dinner, although there really isn't anything in this first box that she can eat other then the strawberries.

Here's what came in my box:
Lacinato Kale
Strawberries
Red Radishes
Chives
Kohlrabi
Pea Vine
Red Lettuce


 


The box comes with a newsletter on what each vegetable/fruit is, how to store it, tips for using it and even some recipes.  I put everything into plastic bags in the fridge so I can keep them fresh.  Took up a whole shelf.  Tim was not happy and made me move everything to the crisper after I took this photo.



The one thing I am worried about is not using all the veggies before they go bad.  So I am going to really try to be creative and use up everything I get.  The strawberries were no problem, I ate all of those pretty quickly.

The first thing I made was Kale Chips, they are yummy!  This photo does not make them look very good but I swear they are.  Tim was not a fan though.  I pretty much used Mackenzie's recipe, although I did add cayenne pepper instead or red pepper flakes because I didn't have any.  They are so delicious.


Then for dinner I made a fusili pasta with turkey sausage and sauteed radish greens.  Yep, radish greens!  That's the top part of the radish.  The greens were good, very bitter but really good with all the other flavors in the pasta.  I made a ton so I get to eat this for lunch tomorrow too.


So, so far I am very happy with the selection in my box and I am having fun coming up with things to make with the veggies.  I already can't wait to see what comes in box #2!

No comments:

Post a Comment