Saturday, July 21, 2012

Turning 30

I just want to say for the record that I am not ready to turn 30.  I like being young and I still feel young.  I loved my 20's. 

I know that I shouldn't care and that I should be extremely grateful that I get to turn 30.  I think about how my cousin Amanda died at a way too young 20 years old and feel like an a-hole for not wanting to turn 30, because she doesn't get to.

I know that its just a number.

And I know that most people say they like there 30's better then they liked there 20's.

But still, (whining voice) I don't want to!

I have accomplished a ton that I am super proud of by 30.  I have a supportive loving husband, I have a fun, sweet, amazing daughter, I have a nice house, I have run 2 half marathons, I have my MBA and a job that I love.

But still, 30?  That just sounds too old for me.

I am hoping that once Monday is here and gone I will be able to embrace 30.  Accept it.  Make the most out of it.  Show those stupid 20's why 30's are better. 

I can't stop thinking of the Tim McGraw song "My Next 30 years."  I certainly didn't waste my first 30 years but the song still has such a good message.  I think its worth posting all of the lyrics.  It makes me cry a little.

I think I’ll take a moment, celebrate my age
The ending of an era and the turning of a page
Now it’s time to focus in on where I go from here
Lord have mercy on my next thirty years

Hey my next thirty years I’m gonna have some fun
Try to forget about all the crazy things I’ve done
Maybe now I’ve conquered all my adolescent fears
And I’ll do it better in my next thirty years

My next thirty years I’m gonna settle all the scores
Cry a little less, laugh a little more
Find a world of happiness without the hate and fear
Figure out just what I’m doing here
In my next thirty years

Oh my next thirty years, I’m gonna watch my weight
Eat a few more salads and not stay up so late
Drink a little lemonade and not so many beers
Maybe I’ll remember my next thirty years

My next thirty years will be the best years of my life
Raise a little family and hang out with my wife
Spend precious moments with the ones that I hold dear
Make up for lost time here, in my next thirty years
In my next thirty years

This is one of the oldest pictures I could find of me on Facebook. It was Sept. 2006 so I was just 24.  Oh, to be 24 again! 


Here is Tim and I in 2006 - I was 24, he was 30. Gosh we are cute!  We look so young!


Another one of young Erica at 24!

No comments:

Post a Comment