Thursday, October 4, 2012

The Ryder Cup

Last weekend I got to do something really cool.  I got to go the The Ryder Cup and watch the best 24 golfers in the world represent either the USA or Europe.  I am super lucky that this is the 3rd PGA Tour event that I have been to.  I went to the PGA Championship in 2009 and 2010.

As much as I love watching golf on TV, and yes I really watch it I don't just fall asleep.  Going to a live golfing event is just so cool.  I loved the PGA Championships because you could sit at one hole and watch every golfer come through and see every shot.  And unlike a lot of other sporting events, you get to be so close to the action.

The Ryder Cup was an awesome experience.  The excitement and cheering is nothing like the normally quiet game of golf.  There were so many European fans there, I couldn't believe it.  They are very loud.  I will say though, you don't get to actually watch as much golf as a regular stroke play event.

Here's a photo from when you walk in the gate.  This is actually the fairway of one of the other courses at Medinah.


Unfortunately we lost and Europeans kept the cup.  We'll have to get it back in 2014 in Scotland.  Next year I am hoping to go to the BMW Championship in Lake Forest, IL.  It will be really cool to go to a playoff event.

While we were at Medinah, Rory got to spend the entire day with Grandma!  I think they both had a great time.

The whole weekend was a lot of fun.  It was great to be home for a few days and see everyone.  And I love when Rory gets to play with her cousins.  They sure do tire her out.

I am adding a golfer to my list of favorites (Poults, Rory, Bubba).  Alvaro Quiros.  He didn't play at the Ryder cup but the Europeans brought him along as eye candy, I mean support.  I swear I am adding him because he's a good golfer.  (Tim's not going to like this).



PS - Rory did so good on the plane.  On the way there she cried a couple times for less then a minute each.  And on the way home she slept almost the whole way.  Flying with a 1 year old isn't the easiest thing in the world, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be either.  All my anxiety was pretty much for nothing (as usual).  On the second flight as Rory and I were waiting for her stroller someone actually said "Your baby did so good."  Can't really get a better compliment then that!

No comments:

Post a Comment