Monday, January 7, 2013

10 Day Low Carb Dinners

It seems that the new fad diet is to cut carbs after 2pm.  This comes from Bob Harper's new book The Skinny Rules .  Rule #7 is to not eat carbs after lunch.  So I decided to try it and see if it works.  Seems simple enough.  Tim and I are doing 10 days of No/Low Carb after 2pm starting Jan 2nd. 

Sure beats last year's Lean Cuisine January, yuck!  We were desparate at the time though, we were eating like crap and had a 4 month old.  Anything was better then what we were doing previously.

I figure if nothing else it will be a jump start to eating healthy for 2013!

Day 1:  Tim got home from work at about 3pm and wanted a snack.  He went through everything in our fridge and pantry and asked if each thing had carbs in it. I realized I did not properly prepare him for what he was getting into.  Next time, we'll have a training session.

For dinner I made Chicken breast marinated in garlic, olive oil, dijon mustard and white wine.  Sauteed mushrooms and a salad with red onion and almonds in a red wine vinegar and olive oil dressing.  Total carbs about 6g.

Tim is pretty mad at me for getting him into this and plans on stuffing his face with a loaf of bread when he wakes up in the morning.

Day 2:  Made these for dinner!  Total carbs 35g.  Probably a little higher then I should have gone, but it didn't seem right to leave out the plum sauce! 

This was a great dinner!  But we were definitley still hungry a few hours later.

Day 3: Ugh, Dinner was awful.  I bought a pork tederloin already seasoned from Kowalski's and it just was not good.  I also made a small salad and mushrooms.  Total carbs 16g.  I did end up making Tim a cheese plate because he was so hungry from the gross dinner.  The plate had cheese, almonds, celery with peanut butter and sausage so not a lot of carbs there.

Day 4: Date Night is hard when you can't eat carbs.  After seeing Les Mis (Amazing!) we went to Wildfire.  By the way, I don't think that movie theatres sell a single thing without carbs!

We had the scallop skewer appetizer and each had a filet with creamed spinach.  Total carbs 18g.  I have to say I felt full when we left and very satisfied with what I ate.  Kind of makes you wonder if you really need the bread and potato at all.

Tim really wanted to break the diet and get a potato or eat the bread but he decided not to.  I think the fact that he isn't seeing a difference on the scale has convinced him this diet is not working.

Day 5: I made salmon and broccoli and cauliflower for dinner.  This meal was great and really filling.  Total Carbs 17g.

We weighed in this morning and we are both down 2 lbs (On top of this diet I ran 11 miles and did a HIIT class).  Tim did tell me yesterday that the diet has already been worth it even if there are no results on the scale.  When he went grocery shopping yesterday he was much more aware of Carbs in foods and even read labels to see how many carbs were in certain foods.

We are halfway through!  We are already planning on what we will eat Saturday night for dinner.  I am voting pasta, Tim is voting pizza. 

No comments:

Post a Comment