Monday, November 25, 2013

Rory's Big Girl Bed

This weekend was a big milestone for Rory!  She moved from a crib to a big girl toddler bed!

For some reason Tim and I were very apprehensive about this change.  We were certain we would find her in the middle of the night in her closet reading books or passed out in her rocking chair.  Although when we set rules she usually listens pretty well, I thought given a closed door and a room to herself we would be in trouble!

On my week off I cleaned out her room and "toddler proofed" it.  I took down her double bookshelf and put the top half with books in her closet.  I moved everything out of the room that could be an issue - medicine, nail clippers, etc.  We were officially ready for Rory to move to a big girl bed!

I took Rory to Toy R Us and got her all ramped up to pick out big girl bedding.  The great thing about Rory is you can really get her excited about anything!  A couple "Yays" and a lot of excited tones and I could get her pumped about throwing out a piece of garbage.  In this case I emphasized that big girls get new bedding and get to pick it out themselves.  She talked about her "new bedding" the entire way to Toys R Us.  She was pumped!

Side note - Toddler bedding was impossible to find at Toys R Us.  I found twin size bedding and baby bedding no problem, but the toddler bedding was tucked away in a section I was not expecting.

Anyway, Rory had the choice of Monsters U, Cars, Minnie, Mickey, Elmo.  All her favorites.  Her first instinct was Minnie and we went with it.  It was purple which matches her room so I was thrilled.

Tim and I let Rory stay in the room while we took the front off her crib and installed the bed rail.  Although Rory wasn't being too patient she was very interested and excited!  We made her new bed and she was thrilled to climb in and lay down!

We showed her how to get in and out.  Showed her that when she rolls the railing will stop her from falling out and we talked a lot about how Big girls stay in bed!


This is Rory fake sleeping for the photo!
 So night 1, we put her to bed and again emphasized that she needs to stay in bed and call us if she needs anything.

 Rory also has an "Okay to Wake" clock so she isn't allowed out of bed until it turns green or one of us comes and gets her.  It turns green at 7:30am and for about 3 weeks before we switch her bed she was waiting till it turned green till she called us to come get her.  One day I came in just before 7:30 and she was standing in her crib staring at the clock.  I asked her what she was doing and she said "Not green yet".    

I stayed close the first night and checked on her every 10 minutes till she fell asleep, which was only about a half hour.  She never got out of bed!  I was a little worried about the morning from when she wakes up till when the clock turns green, but when I walked in she was sitting in bed playing with her stuffed animals.

This is Rory really sleeping her first night in the big girl bed!
Nap and bedtime on Sunday she did great too!  NEVER got out of bed!  I'm so proud!  She even called us when she wanted water which was right on her dresser within her reach.  Hopefully this trend will continue, but I definitely consider this a successful transition! 

Next milestone is potty training.  I must admit I am dreading it a bit.  The plan is to do a potty party one weekend in January.


Help Our Rank & Visit Top Baby Blogs, Baby Blog Directory!

No comments:

Post a Comment